Monday, June 15, 2009

Con⋅no⋅ta⋅tion

1. an act or instance of connoting.
2. the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning: A possible connotation of “home” is “a place of warmth, comfort, and affection.”
3. Logic. the set of attributes constituting the meaning of a term and thus determining the range of objects to which that term may be applied; comprehension; intension.



It's funny how events seem to even out through time. I had a friend of mine visit me today, he still hurting from his broken relationship. Playing his guitar and wallowing in self-pity, I knew what he was thinking to himself: "Why didn't I do better?" Since three days ago, he occupied himself with work and...well, learning guitar.

Now, I wasn't so sure if it was a good idea to let him inside in the first place.

Laying there, he reminded me of myself all those years ago when I broke up with my boyfriend. Screamed, cried, sobbed, and begged for another chance. Now that I think of it, it was so embarrassing! But, when you're in love, you'd do anything to get the love back. Such a sad sort of unrequited love...That's for another time, though.

Now, John, my very best friend, sat in my living room staring into space as he strummed the guitar, every one in a while going out of tune, "Why can't I talk to him?"

Yes, my dear reader, "him." It's not a typo, if that's what you're wondering. Why else would I let an upset man into my own home to play guitar? Mmmmm, you have a twisted mind.

The connotation for "love" is so broad that you might as well wrap the entire world three times around with them. The hurt, pain, betrayal, and recompense...all apart of the "cycles" of love.

I hate it. Love sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I've learned the hard way not to look for love, but to let love find you. You just have to say Men suck. Thats what I say when in doubt.

    ReplyDelete